Key services include…
- strategic planning
- business development
- public relations
- corporate identity
- award submission coaching
- inventory, OTA and online reservation management
- staff professional development
- website architecture
- submission and PR writing
- reputation management
- continuous improvement programs
- event planning and management
Leveraging the experience outlined below, Essence Marketing and Communication is owned and managed by Peter McConvill, a highly experienced marketing professional.
Shizuka Ryokan japanese country spa & wellness retreat
Owner & Manager (2003 – 2016) – Hepburn Springs
At this respected boutique hospitality business employing around a dozen people, key roles included strategic business development; inventory, OTA and online reservation management; marketing; reputation management; staff development; website architecture; submission and PR writing and maintaining a continuous improvement programme.
Highlights included multiple Victorian Tourism Award successes (a win; two runner-up and two finalist awards); being the only three-time winner of the Hepburn Regional Tourism Award; achieving and maintaining Tourism Industry Accreditation; consistently high quality media profile (including multiple appearances on Japanese television); serving on DMR Campaign Committee; and being included in a Victorian Government video produced for the high level Australia Japan Business Co-Operation Committee.
Essence Marketing and Communication Pty Ltd
Marketing Consultant (1990 – 2002) – Sydney
Launched a wide-ranging and highly personalised marketing consultancy service for various target market sectors. Indicative clients included Regional Arts Australia; Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games; Japan National Tourism Organisation; Australia Council for the Arts and Gerontology Foundation of Australia.
Alzheimer’s Australia (Pro-Bono)
Public Relations Co-ordinator & Vice-President (1988 – 1990) – Sydney
Extensive development and marketing work for this then emerging not-for-profit which culminated in being invited to address the Alzheimer’s International global conference.
George Patterson Advertising
Account Executive & Account Manager (1982 – 1988) – Sydney
Then Australia’s largest marketing and advertising agency offered important professional experience through work with national and international clients including Mars corporation; NCR computers; Australian Consolidated Press and Colgate-Palmolive.
Japan Information Centre, Consulate-General of Japan
Cultural Affairs Manager (1979 – 1982) – Melbourne
Offered excellent experience in public relations, event management and publication writing utilising inter-cultural communication and sensitivities, the role’s highlight was hosting the official visit of the then Prime Minister of Japan.
More generally, Peter McConvill’s experience and expertise have included…
- More generally, writing highlights have included a National Press Club journalism award nomination for an article published in “The Bulletin” newsmagazine.
- As a Fellow of Leaders Forum, the 12 month experiential program auspiced by the Committee for Ballarat, participated in an intensive Parliament House study tour including detailed meetings with a wide range of key figures up the then Prime Minister.
- One tourism promotion assignment included extensive travel within Japan, close liaison with the Japan National Tourism Organisation and live media interviews appearances in both Australia and Japan.
- The range of Japanese media prepared to invest in filming visits to Shizuka Ryokan is testament to the breadth and quality of reputation the business enjoyed including with domestic media, tourism industry at all levels and local community and stakeholders.